Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Blog Review #3

www.bjp-online.com
This week, I was particularly drawn to the British Journal of Photography's article exhibiting Colombian photographer Andres Millan's project surrounding the 2017 earthquake in Mexico.

What initially struck me about these photographs was the lighting. Millan's entire sequence consistently features blue and red filters that combine to form a dominant pink hue over the objects being depicted. The artist's thought process behind this was to recreate the police lights that permeated scenes of destruction after the natural disaster. In his photographs, Millan also wanted to emphasize the notion of the house as the foundation for families. I believe that Millan sought to promote a hopeful perspective while also acknowledging and accepting the reality of the loss and the wreckage. To me, the beautiful colors that illuminate the scenes allude to the relationship between destruction and creation, the possibility of rebuilding, improving, and overcoming.





From the series My Home Is My Castle © Andres Millan


No comments:

Post a Comment