Sunday, November 4, 2018

Blog Review #10

http://blog.photoeye.com/jo-whaley-echos-on-view
The Photo-Eye Blog website introduced me to an exhibition of Jo Whaley's Echoes, which is currently on view at the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum. According to Photo-Eye, Whaley's images "highlight human relationships with nature." The artist's consideration for observing the color and form of the natural world intrigued me because the images emphasize humanity's prioritization of dissecting and understanding the world rather than appreciating and respecting it. I was also drawn to these photographs because of their compositions, which reflect an evident critique of the way that nature is exploited, extracted, and repurposed to fit whatever need or narrative we please. Whaley's Clematis was my favorite piece because I was initially drawn in by the flower's color, and as I examined the image further, I realized that its arrangement evoked the symmetry often present in nature, but done so in a way that alludes to the influence of human interaction.

Image © Jo Whaley

Wisteria, 2012 Archival Pigment Print, 24 x 18.7 Inches, $2,000 - Jo Whaley

Eucalyptus, 2012, Archival Pigment Print, 24 x 18.3 Inches, $2,000 - Jo Whaley

Leaf, 2016, Archival Pigment Print, 11 x 9 Inches, $900 - Jo Whaley 


Clematis, 2018, Archival Pigment Print, 24 x 18.5 Inches, $2,000 - Jo Whaley

No comments:

Post a Comment