Monday, October 28, 2019

Inspiration through Video

This week I mainly worked with video since I haven't been able to experiment with this approach at all. I did some research in order to gather inspiration from other video artists and I ended up stumbling upon the work of Yorgo Alexopoulos. The work in his exhibition Transmigrations immediately caught my eye because of the color schemes and its unique format. 



 Images © Yorgo Alexopoulos

I also found myself responding to symbols such as the large red/pink circle behind triangular shapes, which instantly reminded me of Japanese art and its characteristic minimalism. I also immediately thought of the country's flag, and these associations reminded me of semiotics and how this ability to recognize symbols relates to language.

At first, I planned to solely focus on the aesthetics of certain video projects because I felt uninspired with respect to my own work. However, after discovering Alexopoulos's work and reading more about it, I feel greatly inspired to pursue something like this. In his installations, the artist creates an immersive experience by combining different mediums within the video, specifically paintings, drawings, video footage, and found images. I have personally wanted to produce a mixed media project since the beginning, and I think that exploring this artist's work would give me an invaluable source of inspiration.

In terms of my own studio practice, this past week I recorded Spanish phrases that I want to work with later on. I wrote down anything and everything that came to mind in order to have a lot of material to experiment with. As I examined what I came up with this week, I noticed that since I am working with language, I can use that to my advantage and work with different creative formats like poetry. After looking at the work in Yorgo Alexopoulos's Transmigrations exhibition, I wonder whether it would be worthwhile to consider having two separate video pieces: one with the imagery and the other with the text, both simultaneously shifting and responding to each other.



1 comment:

  1. This is exciting, Angela-Maria! I want to see how you will begin to work with these very evocative phrases, visually and perhaps aurally (also, very strange occurrence as I typed the term "aurally" and realized it contains the word, "aura" - which had not occurred to me before / could be something to this in terms of how audio can resonate/shift as it is spoken/written/read. I also thought of what it might be like to hear your voice reading these phrases along with accompanying video works (or embedded within) and/or what it would be like if you also translated, or played around with the idea of subtitling (for instance, the Spanish text is on screen as you verbally translate the text in English, or vice versa and/or a mix where sometimes you see/hear Spanish, sometimes it is different). Lots to play with here! And yes, I would say it is for sure worth testing out the idea of 2-channel (or multi-channel) video where one has imagery and one has text.

    ReplyDelete