Monday, November 4, 2019

In Pursuit of Digital Media

This week I researched the philosophy of digital media and I continued to experiment with different Spanish phrases. I also researched different foreign words that do not have an English or Spanish equivalent. Even though it is significant for me to focus on languages that I understand and have personal experience with, I think it is also important to display the importance of considering my framework through examining languages other than English or Spanish. I want my viewers to take time to consider the intricacies of every language.

Since I am planning to explore digital media and how I can use this medium to bring all my ideas together, I decided to research the philosophies that surround digital art. I wanted to explore the philosophies around it because I think it is extremely important to incorporate the medium's purpose alongside the work's framework. I found an article that discussed the philosophy of digital art and it mostly focused on interactivity and visual presentation. One of the most interesting points from the article mentioned that unlike traditional art making methods, digital art pieces are just one version of many that could have been produced, and as such, exemplify how that one version was carefully selected from a vast array of other options. In other words, a digital art piece forces the viewer to consider the choices and circumstances that brought the presented version into existence. I think this relates to language because a lot of what we know because of it is by chance. We could have been born into a society in which multilingualism is the norm, or a community that uses a different writing system that would cause us to see the written form of our language in a different way.

In terms of my own work, this week I made a video draft of what I would like to have playing beside a screen of fluctuating words and phrases. I tried to use imagery that encouraged a contemplative state of mind and I used audio that I thought would encourage my viewers to immerse themselves in the experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment