Friday, January 17, 2020

Spanish/English

My main focus for the research I engaged in centers around art projections in museum spaces. Ever since critique, I have been trying to look for ideas that can help me envision a possible installation approach and in doing so, enrich my attempt to produce more art. I think it will be extremely important for me to vigorously investigate details like these that will ultimately inform the work itself.



This week I received feedback on the progress of my work since last semester. I was able to shoot new footage for the video piece and I made sure to test out the use of English text alongside the spoken Spanish. In my most recent video edit, I focused on the use of the black screen as a quiet space that is inevitably filled with substance as a result of the English text. Taking my viewers into account, this means that while only a certain number of people would be able to understand the Spanish component of the piece, everyone would understand the English text.


I also decided to visualize an idea I have had since last semester by making a small mock-up version of what I envision to be a larger piece. In it, I was testing out the effectiveness of combining the moving image with the still, drawn portraits of the sky as a way to parallel language's impact concerning different interpretations of the same thing. 




Formally, I am pleased with how this version looks and am interested to see how a larger, more refined piece with multiple screens would look like. 


No comments:

Post a Comment