Friday, February 28, 2020

Color Palette Refinement

This week I mainly focused on pinpointing the exact colors for my final piece. The previous colors I have worked with have all been either too 'pretty' or too distracting and overwhelming. As such, I wanted to really pin down the colors I will use in order to allow some breathing room between the video piece and the paintings that surround it. What I found interesting about this week's progress is that I became so focused on choosing the color palette that I began to neglect the actual imagery that the colors were meant to compose. In my most recent mock-up, I only composed abstract shapes with little to no organic/discernible imagery besides a small cloud. It was useful to hear that the overly abstract composition was working a bit too literally and that paintings of the imagery seen in the video piece would better illustrate my concept (and I would enjoy this formal approach more, too). As a result I am excited to continue producing more work with more identifiable imagery as opposed to solely abstract shapes.



Research this week has consisted of finding English phrases that either have double meanings or that are homographs (words that have different meanings but are spelled the same). I found this useful to research because I wanted to include key English phrases in my video piece that showcased the importance of context in language. However, I have recently been wondering whether including the English text would be beneficial to my work or a hindrance to the meditative quality of the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment