Monday, November 18, 2019

Philosophy of Voice

This week I researched the effect of sound in language. I came across the article "Voice in Philosophy," which talked about the influence of sound in human voices. Phenomenologically speaking, voices are simultaneously individual and communal. Although every voice is unique and cannot be replicated, each is also embedded with an uncanny trace of other voices that flow alongside it within a single current. It also pointed out that voice is distinct from language because it functions as an index that goes beyond what can be described by language. However, it is also "dependent on language, colored by language, and points to the taking place of language" (Waldenfels 1993, 65). This is important to my own practice because I am now working with my own voice as part of my piece. If I examine the different ways the voice itself is perceived based on whether or not a viewer can understand it, I think I can work with the audio in my video piece in a more effective manner.

In terms of my own practice I have mostly been trying to refine my video piece and am experimenting with ways of making a tactile piece. I am thinking of how different mediums can represent different representations brought about by language. I wonder whether a piece containing mediums like watercolor, acrylic, and charcoal would work cohesively.


No comments:

Post a Comment